Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Time of Revolution

In viewing the Revolutionary War and the tensions that surrounded it, I would encourage my students to read Johnny Tremain. This story takes place around the time of the Revolutionary War and tells the story of Johnny Tremain, a young boy who is originally apprenticed to a silversmith before a horrible accident changes his luck. Eventually he goes to work for the Boston Observer and gets swept up into the politics of the Revolutionary War. Esther Forbes does an expert job in weaving historical figures in and brings the events leading up to the war to life in a way that a lot of students could understand. I would recommend this book for upper elementary, either fourth or fifth. In studying the Revolutionary War, a lot of student might feel separated from the events; I can see this as a way to draw them in.

Johnny goes through personal trials as well, which a lot of people could identify with. He struggles with his own pride after the accident takes away his ability to become a silversmith. He also struggles with his feelings towards Cilla throughout the book. I loved this book for these reasons when I was young, and I still feel a connection to it now. In looking for ideas online, I found a website that offers activities to be done to extend learning from the text. It can be found here: http://www.glencoe.com/sec/literature/litlibrary/pdf/johnny_tremain.pdf.

This is a book that I would have my students read independently in order to expand their understanding of the Revolutionary War. I think it would be very useful in a small group discussion where individual students could really discuss the issues that are happening in the book. With its intense themes, multi-faceted characters, and hopeful ending, it is a book that could really help students understand the power and wonder of reading.

1 comment:

  1. hmm, I have never read this one. I will have to put it on my list. I love teaching history through literature.

    ReplyDelete