The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein is all that is expected of this author. In simple prose and illustration, it captures a concept for the ages. The simplistic format that Silverstein uses throughout the book marks it as a good choice for beginning readers who might be intimidated by large blocks of text while the messages that come through the text are ones which would capture the attention of even older readers. Shel Silverstein is an author and illustrator that I recommend all children to read because his phrasing is so simplistic and yet so rich with meaning. This book and Shel Silverstein as an author are heralded by most as open for interpretation. Reading Where the Sidewalk Ends is among one of my most memorable reading experiences because his was the only poetry that I was ever able to understand and enjoy as a child. Although slightly depressing and always full of meaning that was just out of my reach, I loved to borrow his books from the library and read them until I could almost cite them from memory.
The Giving Tree looks at the concepts of growing up and changing, unconditional love, and the pain of separation. The tree gives unconditionally to the boy throughout his life, giving up everything she has so that the boy can be happy. As he grows over, he takes more from the tree without giving back. The boy can be seen maturing throughout the story, and his needs change as he does. A book like this would be one which I engage my students to tell me what they think the story is trying to represent. I would have them study the pictures as I read through the book and then tell me what they think is happening between the tree and the boy. This book is one that I would use for any grade level that I taught and I would recommend to other teachers as well. It is without a doubt one that students will never forget.
I know so many kids who love this book! It is definitely one we all need in our class library!
ReplyDeleteI feel like this book has been one I have always been expected to be very familiar with, and never was. I think I have read it, but now that I am going to be a teacher I definitely need to go back and study it. From reading your synopsis, I wonder if it could be used to start a discussion about conservation and environmentalism?
ReplyDelete